About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom

Saturday 19 December 2009

The Men Who Stare At Goats

I didn't really know much about this film before going to see it, although I had seen the trailer. The main reason I wanted to see was the cast - George Clooney, Ewan McGregor, Kevin Spacey and goats...in one film? What was there not to like? It turns out, there was quite a lot not to like. For quite a short film (93 mins) it really dragged and I think this was due to a lack of plot. The whole story could have been summed up in about 15 mins, which leaves rather a lot of slack. The other thing that I found distracting was Ewan McGregor's American accent. Now, I don't know if it is because I know that he is Scottish, but I just found his accent throughout the film confusing. I'd love to know what Americans think of his accent and whether it is really as dreadfully embarrassing as I fear it is. The whole question of accents in films is very interesting and one which Mark Kermode explores with relation to Valkyrie here
There were some big laughs, and having just re-watched Burn After Reading I am becoming more convinced that George Clooney's true talent lies in comedy.
So, probably not a film worth paying to go and see, but good fun all the same. And certainly very pleasing on the eye ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment