About Me

My photo
Surrey, United Kingdom

Wednesday 7 October 2009

Man Booker Prize 2009

I find myself taking more and more interest in the Man Booker prize as I get older. I don't know if it is my taste in books that is maturing, or if the longlist is dumbing down, but each year I seem to have heard of and plan to read more and more of the contenders.

This year's shortlist was:

The winner was Hilary Mantel, which by all accounts was quite a surprise to
those who express opinions and predict these type of things.

I have only read one Hilary Mantel novel - Beyond Black - and I really enjoyed it, but I don't remember feeling like I had read a literary masterpiece, so I am interested to know what is different about Wolf Hall. The story sounds fascinating, so the second it is out in paperback, I'll be there!

The Little Stranger is already on my wish list. I have read all Sarah Water's other novels and loved all of them. Her eye for historic detail and skill at creating period atmosphere is amazing. Not only that, she also has a terrific imagination and the ability to unravel a mystery in a compelling way.


No comments:

Post a Comment